Skip to main content
Ask Question
General
Asked a question 3 months ago

Can I run a CentOS 5/Bright 5 image from a Centos 6/Bright 6 head?

Where am I?

In Bright Computing, Inc. you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

making this non-visible. We actually discussed this issue in http://support.brightcomputing.com/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=2890 and decided not to even suggest it to the adventurous.

I want to run a centos 5 image from Bright 5.x on the regular nodes, and run centos 6 from Bright 6.x on the head. Is that possible?

Yes, but it is not recommended.

It involves some work. You always need to make sure the cmdaemons running inside of your cluster are the same version. It's ok for the revision number to be different, but the version number must be the same (e.g. 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1).

You could try uninstalling all Bright components from your software image, and then using it to build a Bright 6.0 software image using the cm-create-image tool. This will probably take you some time because you need to make sure that all repositories are set up correctly and that all Bright 5 traces have been removed from the software image. Even after that, you will probably run into issues because your head node is CentOS 6 and the software image is CentOS 5. Bright has no problem provisioning a CentOS 5 software image, but the users will probably run into issues, such as anything that is compiled on the head node will probably not run on the CentOS 5 software image. Also you have to take into account that /cm/shared is coming from the CentOS 6 head node, so most of that will probably not work on a node running CentOS 5. If you're going this route, then you can do something like copy the CentOS 5 /cm/shared tree to /cm/shared-centos-5 on your head node, and mount that on your CentOS 5 nodes.