Skip to main content
Ask Question
Asked a question 3 months ago

If I change the disk layout for a Category, and the node has role slurmclient, munge fails to start because /var/log/munge doesn't exist, Change the disk layout back to slave-xfs template, and munge starts. Any ideas?

Where am I?

In Bright Computing, Inc. you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Your change of the category may involve a change of the software image as well. When you set up Slurm, changes were made to the software image that the nodes belonged to. If you are switching to a software image for which Slurm has never been set up, then that would explain why the /var/log/munge directory does not exist. 

Note that there may be other reasons as well. One thing I would recommend checking is whether /var/log/munge exists in the software image that you are using. If it does not exist, then that's why. 

I find it strange though that changing the disklayout somehow resolves this, because if /var/log/munge is not present in the software image, then using a different disklayout is not going to resolve that.